- The Dutch Shepherd is a medium-sized, well-proportioned, well-muscled dog, with a powerful, well-balanced structure, an intelligent expression and a lively temperament.
- The length of the body exceeds the height, at the withers, in a ratio of 10:9.The Dutch Shepherd has three coat types: short coat, long coat, and rough coat.
- Dutch Shepherds are loyal, reliable, alert, watchful, active, independent, intelligent, and intuitive.
- Obedience and discipline can be achieved with remarkable results.
- Gifted with a true shepherding temperament, they can supposedly work willingly together with their owners and can deal independently with any task they are assigned, being neither aggressive nor shy.
- They have a strong character and independence passed down from their herding ancestry.